Friday, October 24, 2008
Mean Neighborhood Lady
I really like kids. I like being around them and listening to the great things they say and learning from them. That's why I went into teaching! But one thing I really didn't like about teaching was when I had to "lay down the law." I had to do this today with the kids that wait in front of our house for the bus stop. Most of them are great. Really there are only a few that throw rocks in the window well, ring our doorbell, leave the spigot on, etc. I had talked to these individuals several times asking them to stay away from the house. And I had decided that today I would go ask all the kids to wait on the sidewalk instead of our driveway. When I went outside, one of the kids was leaning over the window well with his hands on the house looking like he was about to fall in. So I ended up using a not-so-nice voice to tell the kids to wait on the sidewalk and that I didn't want them by the house and especially by the window well or I would call their parents. Now I feel bad for all of the other kids who hadn't done anything wrong and who know me through Primary or piano or just the neighborhood. I think I made them think of me as the mean neighborhood lady. Maybe I really am! :(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Haha, you have a right to be the "mean lady", especially if they are ringing your doorbell (yuck). If this continues I think you should ask them to move down to the corner of the street or talk to the bus driver. I can't believe they do that and you don't even have a kid in school. Although I really can't see you saying anything in a not-so-nice voice, you are like the calmest, sweetest person I know! Hope it get's better!
Good for you! If my kids are some of the ones involved, I want to know about it becuase that is so rude and annoying. By the way you are not the only one with this problem. Last year another lady called the police on some kids breaking her fence while waiting for the bus.
Your mean voice is probable about as loud as most people's calm voice. I'm with Cori, you are one of the sweetest people I know. However... I dislike telling kids what to do also, so I know what you mean about feeling like the mean lady. Sometimes I felt like that with teaching. But sometimes... those kids just need a good telling! Good luck with the hoodlums!
Way to go! Welcome to the club! I'm sure according to our neighbor kids they also consider me the "mean neighbor lady!" They'll talk to Lance but not to me...how immature! sheesh! :) If it keeps up make sure and tell their parents. Our problems with them have stopped since I've tattled to the parents.
I heard about that and I'm sorry you had to do that. last year I was the mean bus stop mom cause I would go down to the big over crowded bus stop and tell the kids to stay out of the road and not throw rocks and the kindergarteners. It's not fun to be that person, but I don't usually remember to feel bad till later. I'm sorry if my son caused any problems, but you don't have to tell me cause I already talked to him about the problems I heard about. Of course I would want to know if he did anything now that it has been addressed.
Anyway, I'm sorry you felt bad cause you shouldn't.
I hope you had a good Halloween
You...mean? I would love to see that. Sometimes I have to laugh as I read your blog because we are in such different stages of life right now. I would not have ever thought that one thing I may have to deal with some day is problems at bus stops. Good times.
Post a Comment