I wish I could say I am trying to conserve energy to save the earth. But really, it's to save money. Power bills are about to go up. So I have been reading about tips to save power. Here are four that I am going to try this month:
- wash clothes in cold water
- dry clothes on a drying rack (at least some of them)
- use a power strip for the entertainment center
- allow dishes to air dry in the dishwasher
We still have the energy-sucking incandescent light bulbs, but we have at least entertained the idea of upgrading to fluorescent. Someday. It's a big investment. But our city has recently provided a way to dispose of the fluorescent bulbs. I guess we'll think on that. I'll let you know if I am saving money. Any other tips?
3 comments:
I have been way into coupons lately and am learning how to work out the system...check out this blog of a friend of a friend:http://scavengerhuntoncrack.blogspot.com/
This isn't an energy saver, but it's proven to be a great money-saver for us. We buy the generic brand of baby wipes, and then we cut them in half. That way for a wet diaper, I can just use 1/2 a wipe, which is really all I need. And for a dirty diaper I find that 1 1/2 wipes is sufficient, when if they're whole I somehow end up using 3. We save about $80 a year on wipes doing that ... and that's at least something.
Great ideas. We broke down and got some flourescent lightbulbs because it hoped it would save in the long run with electricity bills. I remember when teaching a unit in middle school science on energy, they said a huge one is showers. They said to turn the water off while washing your hair and then turn it back on just to rinse. We've definitely done the whole hanging our clothes out to dry thing when it's warm enough outside, and that helps a lot, too!
Post a Comment