Braided Calzone (The recipe I used is here)
1 1/4 c water
2 tsp yeast
Combine, allow to sit for about 10 minutes until bubbly.
Add:
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil (I didn't have any)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp powdered milk
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
3 c flour
Knead for a few minutes, then form into a ball. Place into a greased bowl, turning once so all sides of the dough are greased.
Allow to raise until double. (To speed this process up, I put a glass pan of really hot water in the oven and then put the bowl of dough in the oven with a cloth on top and closed the door. I only had it in there for about 25 minutes.)
While it's raising, put together the ingredients for the pizza filling (this is enough filling for a double-batch of dough):
1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained
Chopped green/red peppers, onions, etc. I sauteed them in a little butter until tender-crisp
sliced olives
pepperoni
mozzarella cheese
spaghetti sauce
You could use anything for the filling, this is just what we like.
I doubled the recipe and used half to make the braided calzone, which we ate for dinner on Monday and lunch on Tuesday. With the other half, I made 8 mini calzones and this is what I recommend! Much easier and yummier!
Split the dough into eight pieces and on a floured surface, roll each piece into a circle
Add a spoonful of sauce, then add other pizza fillings
Fold in half and seal with water. Use a fork to press the edges closed. Poke holes in top.
Cook for 30 minutes at 350.
After letting the mini calzones cool, I froze them and we've been having them for lunch. They are delicious! I like them even more than the braided calzone! It's so easy to throw a lunch together for Tyson to take to work. Take 2 out of the freezer and toss in. Done! Well, I do add a small container of leftover spaghetti sauce so he can dip them. But see how easy that is? Grant loved helping me add the filling to the mini calzones.

This picture seriously doesn't do them justice. And I didn't have time to take a picture of the braided calzone. We were hungry! I'm making it again in a few weeks- a double batch again, but this time I'm only making the mini ones. It might seem a bit time-consuming, but it sure lasted us a long time!
6 comments:
Those look yummy! I will have to try making them.
Wow that looks like such a great idea! I might have to try that one out! Thanks!
looks yummy. Next time you should put the one of your delicious caramel popcorn.....mmmmm (unless it's a secret family recipe or something)
Mmmm! I have a calzone recipe I use, but this one sounds really good. I'll have to try it! Thanks for posting. I've been wondering how things are going with moving and the new job. I'm glad Tyson is liking his job and isn't bothered by the drive yet. Hopefully things will work out soon, and it won't be too stressful moving! Keep us posted on any changes! And way to go on getting your piano kids in on a festival! Lots of work, I'm sure!
Hey Kristine! Just found your blog through Stevie's. I'm going to try your recipe, if I can find all the ingredients here in Peru. Sometimes it's pretty hard...But Mike loves calzones, so it'll be a fun surprise! Your family looks great! Glad you're doing well. :)
Thanks for the recipe! I made it this past week and Devin (and I) loved them! We took your advice and made mini calzones and put lots in the freezer. We are actually going through them really fast too. Thanks again, they were delicious!
Post a Comment