I did laugh, eventually. After I stopped feeling bad for myself. I decided to try again today. This time, they turned out okay! Now I just have to go have a taste....
Here's the recipe:
2 cups warm water
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
4 tsp instant active dry yeast
Combine first six ingredients and stir. Add flours and yeast and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let raise until doubled, about 40 minutes. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes until dough is smooth. Then split dough into two pieces and form into loaves. Place in greased bread pans. Cover and let raise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. If bread starts browning too early, cover with a sheet of tin foil. Cool on wire racks.
10 comments:
I'm impressed that you even attempted that. I'm kinda afraid of bread making. It seems like it's tricky. You'll have to let us know how it tastes!! Looks good
I am completely crippled by my bread maker. I desperately want to unshackle myself and make a loaf by hand ... or at least pull it out after the whole mixing thing and give the kneading/rising/kneading/rising cycle a go myself. But I'm just chicken. Your beautiful, normal shaped loaves make me envious.
Practice makes perfect. I love homemade wheat bread.
You go girl! I have a deliciously easy bread machine recipe that I make the dough only with, and then I shape it into loaves and bake in my oven. I, too, am scared to make bread without the breadmaker.
Did you slather the bread with homemade jam???
You'll have to give me your recipe. Up to this point my excuse for never having made wheat bread is that I don't have a wheat grinder. I finally bought one and now I need to get using it. Is it very hard to make though? I'm all about simple recipes.
They look great. Good Job. How are things going for you? I am going to be having a Modbe and Scentsy party on Oct. 8th that is a wed. at 7-8:30 and I want you to come so I would like to get you address so I can send you an Invite. Thanks
Impressive! I've been wanting to make homemade bread with a wheat grinder for so long! My mom used to do that when we were growing up, and there's nothing that compares with the taste of homemade bread! Nice work! I'm sure it tasted great, too!
Oops, I was in Drostan's account. This is Staci. ;)
Ha ha ha...Kristine, you crack me up. Your note on my blog was priceless. It is true, as you well know, that I am a little busy. I will however overcome this insanity at some point and get a chance to blog.
I was actually just thinking about you the other day and realized that I haven't talked to you forever and I miss you. I will call you soon.
Also, I must add that when I come home over Christmas, we need to make bread together so that I can refresh my memory from our lovely
4-H Days. Your mom was incredible. I hope you are doing well. I will talk to you soon!
Glad I'm not the only one who can make a door stop out of wheat and yeast :) But good for you trying it again. It looks delicious! Also... since you have a grinder, try this; grind up popcorn kernals for your own corn meal. It makes the BEST corn bread!
Post a Comment