Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Not ready to give it up!

Grant after a Family Home Evening craft.


Grant learned how to crawl out of his crib last Saturday. He casually walked into the room where Tyson was and said, "I had a good nap!" Ever since then, naps have been short if they've happened at all. I love naptime. I can sleep, be on the computer, clean the bathrooms, or do absolutely nothing productive while Grant sleeps peacefully for a few hours. It just might be the end of that. Sad! He is currently having "quiet time" in his room. It's working so far. He gets a big-boy bed on Saturday. My little guy is growing up, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for it!


Edit:
Quiet time lasted about 45 seconds after I posted. Any suggestions? :)

8 comments:

Jade said...

When we moved my 2-year-old into her big girl bed (since we needed the crib and all) I was terrified that nap time as we knew it would end, and like you I was just NOT ready for that. It's taken a while, but we've figured out a compromise that works. I put her down for a nap every other day. On the days she doesn't nap, she goes to bed super easily and often early. On the days she does nap, it's rarely a fuss or fight. But if I try to get her to nap every day she just fights me and won't stay down.

I think she's getting enough quality rest this way, and I can count on quiet time at least every other day. In my book, it's better than a daily struggle or, worse yet, the complete demise of the early afternoon nap.

I'm interested to see other's advice or to hear what works for you. Good luck. And congrats on No. 2. It's so different the second time around -- still wonderful, but so different.

stevie kay said...

Landon is pretty well convinced he doesn't need a nap anymore. My friend suggested putting him in his room and telling him he could play or sleep, but that he had to be in there for an hour. That didn't work so well because he trashed the room and now Lizzy naps in there at the same time (but maybe it would work for Grant?). Instead, he lays on the couch or floor in the living room so he's near me (and so I can remind him to lie down when he tries to get up). Sometimes he sleeps, sometimes he doesn't, but I still get my "me" time with only a little bit of interruption.

Unknown said...

You might have to lay by him and read him a story until he falls asleep. Good Luck.

Jaimie said...

My kids just get in trouble if they get up. And on the days Elsie insists that she is not tired, I tell her she has to lay in there and "rest." That seems to appease her since she doesn't "have to go to sleep." She usually does anyway... Don't give up on nap time though. I think kids need naps. It's probably just a struggle phase--hopefully that he will be over soon!

avisiontoremember said...

Keep it up. You know what is best for grant! I say just be consistent. If you want him to have quiet time everyday then do it. With Ash I have a timer so she knows when she can come out. It might be a fight at first but they catch on quick :)

Krystal said...

Rachel crawled out of her crib for the first time last Sunday! It was a sad moment for me. I love her crib...she's been so good to just sit and play in her crib for a while after she wakes up and while she's falling asleep. I'll be curious to see what kind of bed you get. We're debating between toddler beds or just getting a twin bed and purchasing a guard rail separately.

staci baker said...

How funny! Peyton just learned to crawl out of his crib last week, too! My life is over! ;) For the last couple of nights Peyton has come out of his crib at least 10 times--doing it for about an hour. I pick him up and tell him not to, and then he comes out again. And then I decided to use one of those doorknob handles on the inside of the boys' bedroom door. I used that today for his nap. He crawled out once but couldn't open the door. He yelled for me for awhile. I finally went back in and told him that the door is "locked" and he can't get out...so he might as well stay in his bed. Today it worked. Maybe tonight and tomorrow will be different, but I think he gets the idea and won't try getting out after a few times. Some people might not agree with "locking him in", but after struggling with Tyler FOREVER, I don't feel bad in doing this! Good luck! I feel your pain!

Cindy Spratling said...

Try giving him books and a flashlight. Maybe get a couple of new books that are special for "quiet time". That still works for Claire. She almost always falls asleep and she's 3 1/2! Good luck. I liked the suggestion to try nap time every other day. A good compromise. Good luck!