Sunday, July 12, 2009

Do It 'Self

Grant's independent spirit is showing itself. I'm sure any parent whose had a child around this age understands! He wants to do everything by himself.
Playing mini golf, putting on shoes, pouring cereal...And he gets so frustrated when it doesn't work! But he will not let me help. It suppose it's how he will learn, right?
Well it's caused me to contemplate my parent-child relationship with my Heavenly Father. Sometimes I just want to do things my way and figure it out myself, and then I realize that I need to depend on the Lord. And other times I just want the Lord to tell me what to do, and then I realize it's time to learn how to choose for myself. Learning and understanding the balance of independence and dependence is hard! No wonder toddlers can throw such magnificent tantrums!

7 comments:

Annalee Kelly said...

I love your thoughts on that! What a BIG BOY.

Kellie said...

He is so cute! And you are such a good mom to let him try, I'm afraid I'll never let Bennett do anything by himself and he will never learn! I also LOVE the birthday cake you made for him... so cute! You're so domestic :)

Erin L said...

being a mom has taught me more about God than all my previous 22 years prior to it.

Cori said...

I am there too! Everything at my house is "myself, myself". I guess all we can do it let them do it themselves and hope that they will eventually let us help if they need it or learn to do it on their own, but the worst is when he says "myself" as we are crossing a street and I have to pick up my screaming two year old and drag him accross the street because I will not allow him to cross by himself....sigh!

crack'n up ourselves said...

Be glad he is wanting to be independent. You will be happy about that when you have more kids and you don't have as much time to help him.

Emily said...

Hah! I can't wait for Olivia to get to that stage... yikes! I better work on my patience!

Christie said...

I loved your addition at the end about our relationship with Heavenly Father. I would think after nearly 25 years I would have a better idea of how that all worked, but I am constantly being humbled and reminded of that relationship. It is a tough balance - you're exactly right. It was great to read your thoughts about it. P.S. Happy Birthday again. :)