Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Agnes
I never did like the name Agnes. I remember as a teenager going to Olive Garden on vacation. Our waitress's name was Agnes, and I just felt so sorry for her! But I just read the book David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, and I've changed my mind. Agnes is the loveliest name! She is one of the main characters, and I can hardly think of anyone more selfless, generous, beautiful, gentle, or lovable. That was one of the best books I've ever read. It was really long, and not the kind of book you can read casually, but so worth the time and effort. (I'll admit, at about page 300 I was wondering whether I could continue. But both my mom and my sister Joyce recently read it and said they loved it, so I kept going.) Oh, the characters are so memorable! It took me through all sorts of emotions and left me spiritually uplifted and hoping to be a better person. I highly recommend it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That's good to hear. Maybe I'll have to check it out. I read "Great Expectations" by Dickens about 6 months ago. (Also, not casual reading, but I was really glad I read it.)
Are you on goodreads? We should compare books.
Thanks for the recommendation. I also saw the book about the Wright Brothers that you read that I want to try...and Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry....I think we have similar taste in books. I have a few lined up to read.
Oh thanks! I love Charles Dickens. That's a book I've been meaning to read--at least, I want to read it in my lifetime. :) There's a lot of books on my list...
Oh, and the name Agnes... not my favorite either but it's growing on me. My little brother really likes the name (very possibly for humor rather than taste...). His email address contains it, and he was going to name his gun Agnes but got too much crap from the other guys... so if he dies, and I have another girl, she may very well end up with the middle name Agnes! :)
That sounds awesome! I've been looking for the next book I want to read and I LOVE the classics.
I did JR Miss with you-a long time ago!;) I went to Bonneville and my SIL is Kathryn Marshall.
Post a Comment